Friday, April 16, 2010

Waldorf Chicken Salad

If you've never experienced the sheer joy from a pre-made lunch, you are in for a treat.
Also, if you've never experienced the wonderful textures of Waldorf salad, you are in for a treat.
I apologize for the lack of pictures because (I am a college student) I have finals coming up, (I am a college student) I have papers due, and (I am a college student) I just don't have time!

So this recipe came from the South Beach Diet book (or cookbook, I can't remember) and it is just wonderful! Chicken breast is extremely low in fat, the walnuts included are a great source of fatty acids. They help your skin look youthful! Also, apples help reduce the risk of heart disease if eaten on a regular basis. Apples are also a good source of fiber (equivalent to about one hearty slice of whole grain bread). Raisins are great for your skin and have antioxidant power, too! And then we all know what they say about celery...

Waldorf Chicken Salad
2 chicken breasts (with bones)
3 stalks of celery (and some of the leaves)
1 apple
1/2 c raisins
1/2 c toasted walnuts
oil and vinegar dressing

1. Put chicken breasts in a medium pot and cover with water. Season water with a few celery sticks, garlic, and onions. Add in some thyme and parsley or whatever spices you like. Put on the lid. (After it's cooked, this liquid can be frozen and re-used as chicken stock!) Let the water get to a boil, then turn it to simmer. I think mine took about 20 minutes, but just stick a knife through and peek inside to see if your chicken is done.
2. Chop the apple and celery fairly small. Toast the walnuts on a dry skillet until you smell them cooking. Chop the walnuts. Add these ingredients, plus the raisins to a bowl.
3. Once the chicken has finished cooking, let cool on a plate for 10-15 minutes. Then remove the bones and chop into small pieces (about the same size as the apple; chop them smaller than I did). Add to the other ingredients.
4. Add your oil and vinegar dressing (I like Newman's Own) and stir. Serve on romaine spears, by itself, with crackers, or over greens!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment