Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Rosemary Garlic Smashed Potatoes

As of the last day or two, the current weather, rain, has me feeling a tad down (that paired with other events).
Although, I love looking out one of my kitchen windows to see the luscious green foliage enjoying the summer showers. What a comforting sight to see foliage! What a change from the city where I once lived!
To further comfort myself, I decided to indulge in a trip to Harry's Farmer's Market where I continued to buy food I don't need. I found the cutest potatoes there (I know they are always waiting for me when I arrive). If you don't have these tri-color potatoes, you could just use the tiny red potatoes, which I think might be called summer potatoes? Not sure, but I continued to make a lovely side dish.





Okay, maybe they aren't the most glamorous of side dishes, but if you pile the finished ones in a small lightly-colored bowl, a Martha effect ensues. It is a Good Thing.

Smashed Potatoes
small bag of small potatoes (about 15-20)
sprig of fresh rosemary
2 cloves minched, smashed garlic
2 T butter
2 T olive oil
salt, pepper

1. Boil potatoes until a sharp knife sticks into and comes out of the largest potato fairly easily. Drain.
2. In a large skillet over a medium-low flame, melt butter and oil and add garlic. Cook garlic just a minute, do not let brown.
3. Add in drained potatoes. With a large spoon (I used a soup ladle), lightly press down on the potatoes until they give way slightly. This should form a smashed potato; the skin should be broken in a couple places.
4. Brown each potato on both sides and turn off heat. Toss in finely chopped rosemary. Serve hot.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment